NH Woman Celebrates 92nd Birthday By Parachuting From Plane At 13,000 Feet, Shows
(AP) A 92-year-old New Hampshire woman has celebrated her birthday by sky-diving from a plane at 13,000 feet.
Swanzey resident Jane Bockstruck tells The Keene Sentinel newspaper she doesn't know what overcame her when she decided to take the parachute jump.
With a group of friends and relatives watching, Bockstruck leaped Sept. 19 at the Jumptown sky-diving club in Orange, Mass., west of Boston. She says she doesn't remember jumping from the plane.
But tandem partner and jump instructor Paul Peckham Jr. says she had perfect form and landed without a hitch.
He says she's the oldest person he's taken on a jump. The second-oldest was 78.
Bockstruck says she's been married seven times, has traveled the world and has had jobs ranging from hotel desk clerk to seamstress for the John Wayne movie "True Grit."
From Guardian UK
For 31 years he lived as the world's most celebrated fugitive, feted by his peers in the film industry while on the run from American police after admitting having sex with a child.
But, it was revealed today, the past has finally caught up with Roman Polanski. The film director was arrested in Switzerland on Saturday on a decades-old warrant relating to the rape of a 13-year-old girl in 1977.
The director had traveled to Switzerland to accept a lifetime achievement award at the Zurich film festival, the organiZers of which expressed "great consternation and shock" at his detention. (So they weren't in on the plan?)
The 76-year-old director of Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown pleaded guilty to the assault at the time but jumped bail and fled the US the following year to avoid a lengthy jail sentence. For more than three decades he has lived in exile in Paris, refusing to return to the US even when he won an Oscar in 2002 for The Pianist.
Zurich police said he was detained at immigration in Zurich on Saturday night at the request of the US justice department and was in custody awaiting extradition.
"I confirm that Mr Polanski has been arrested. The American authorities issued an international search request in 2005 in relation to a 1978 warrant," said Guido Balmer of the Swiss justice ministry. "There was a valid arrest request and we knew when he was coming. That's why he was taken into custody." The US will now need to make a formal extradition request, however, and Polanski is likely to challenge his detention in the Swiss courts.
So Now they finally got Roman Polanski and he is almost 80 years old and ost likely going to die in prison like Phil Spector. However Phil killed someone and Polanski's victim is 45 and the mother of 3 children.
We read the court transcripts which have been unsealed and he really did rape that little girl and we believe he deserves to answer for this crime whether the victim agrees or not.
The transcripts on the Smoking gun are HERE
The victim would like the charges dropped due to the fact the District Attorney's Office draws tons of publicity into her home which hurts her husband, children and mother. Read more about her side HERE
We all know that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were destroyed in August 1945 after explosion of atomic bombs. However we know little about the progress made by the people of that land during the past 64 years.
Here are some photos...
THE COLORFUL CITY
DETROIT - 64 YEARS AFTER HIROSHIMA
Welcome to Detroit ...next 2 Exits - Drugs- Ammo
Who won the war?
Detroit looks like it already had a bomb dropped on it via, our dollars being spent on Japanese products and those same dollars leaving our shores and deposited in Japanese bank accounts.
Not to mention that OUR dollars rebuilt their country right after the war in the first place.. Do the math .....who won?
How does it add up....WE'RE STUPID STUPID STUPID!
(AP) A former postal service employee has pleaded guilty to stealing more than 30,000 DVDs that moved through a western Massachusetts post office. Myles Weathers, formerly of Springfield, took DVDs that were mailed by Netflix to customers for a year beginning in January 2007.
Federal prosecutors say the movie rental company alerted Springfield post office officials that a suspiciously high number of DVDs were disappearing. As many as 100 movies a week were disappearing.
Weathers was arrested in February 2008 after investigators filmed him taking DVDs from packages and slipping them into his backpack.
He faces 10 months to 16 months in prison and restitution costs of about $38,000 at his Dec. 23 sentencing. Weathers' attorney did not immediately return a call seeking comment Tuesday.
This poor man needs to get cable....__
Nikki Corvette, the original Rock'N'Roll Girl from Detroit, meets Amy Gore, Gore Gore Girls' leading lady.
When Robert Matheu of Creem Magazine introduced the two at Spaceland in Los Angeles in 2004, stars aligned. Corvette and Gore quickly became kindred spirits and started writing songs together once Corvette moved from LA to Detroit in 2005. Gorevette now becomes part of Detroit's new R'n'R era. Lianna Castillo (Gore Gore Girls) and Al King (Powertrane) round out the lineup. Listen and watch carefully... history is being made.
"Bubble-gum and hip-shakeable hooks meet ruthless, pure-firestorm guitar ecstasy" - Real Detroit Weekly
Ok ok we know this is an easy shot.... Poor Phil.... girlfriend still has his wigs???
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Music producer and convicted murderer Phil Spector says life behind bars is driving him "insane".
"This 24/7 lockdown life is slowly driving me insane and killing (me)," Spector, 69, wrote in a letter to a fan that was posted online on Friday.
Spector, who revolutionized pop music in the 1960s with his "Wall of Sound" production technique, was convicted in April of the 2003 murder of actress Lana Clarkson and later sentenced to a minimum of 19 years in prison.
In the letter written in July to a fan that was obtained by pop culture website Gawker.com, Spector complained that he was unable to "say goodbye" to anyone, or organize his business affairs before going to prison.
"How cruel but apparently not unusual," Spector wrote. "And they call this a 'civilized' society. Bugs live more civilized beneath their rocks!".
Spector wrote the four-page, handwritten letter to a woman in Texas, sending it from prison in California.
At the height of his fame, Spector worked with The Ronettes, The Beatles, Cher, the Ramones and Leonard Cohen, but in the 1980s he withdrew from music. He quietly married singer and actress Rachelle Short in 2006.
(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis: Editing by Jill Serjeant)
Robin Williams, wearing a shirt that says 'I love New York ' in Arabic.
'I see a lot of people yelling for peace but I have not heard of a plan for peace. So, here's one plan.'
1) 'The US / UK ? Canada , AUSTRALIA will apologize to the world for our 'interference' in their affairs, past & present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Tojo, Noriega, Milosevic, Hussein, and the rest of those 'good 'ole' boys', we will never 'interfere' again.
2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany , South Korea , the Middle East , and the Philippines . They don't want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No one allowed sneaking through holes in the fence.
3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of whom or where they are from. They're illegal!!! France will welcome them.
4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit!!!! No one from a terrorist nation will be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it yourself and don't hide here. Asylum would never be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers.
5) No foreign 'students' over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, they get a 'D' and it's back home baby.
6) The US / UK Canada , Australia will make a strong effort to become self-sufficient energy wise. This will include developing nonpolluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while
7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go someplace else. They can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)
8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not 'interfere.' They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides most of what we give them is stolen or given to the army. The people who need it most get very little, if anything.
9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island someplace. We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the building would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.
10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us 'Ugly Americans' any longer. The Language we speak is ENGLISH..learn it...or LEAVE...Now, isn't that a winner of a plan?
'The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying 'Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses.' She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'you want a piece of me?' '
By RAPHAEL G. SATTER, Associated Press Writer Tue Sep 15, 2:43 pm ET
LONDON – Standup comedian Eddie Izzard completed a 1,100 mile (1,770 kilometer) run across Britain on Tuesday, staggering across the finish line at London's rain-soaked Trafalgar Square.
The cross-dressing comic, better known for running through his routines in drag than running marathons, said he managed the feat of endurance with only five weeks' training.
"I ... feel ... exhausted," Izzard said, raising his hands in the air in front of assembled journalists.
Izzard covered the country in seven weeks, clocking up at least 27 miles (43 kilometers) nearly every day to raise money for Sport Relief, a U.K. charity which works in Britain and abroad.
The 47-year-old entertainer, known to U.S. audiences for his roles in FX's "The Riches" and Tom Cruise's World War II drama "Valkyrie," said the run had wrecked his feet.
"The small toes have lost their nails and they look like alien monsters but I'm told they will grow back," he said, adding that while everyone kept complementing him about the shape of his legs, "I thought they looked quite good beforehand."
Sport Relief spokeswoman Jeni Ayling said a BBC crew was accompanying him in a rickshaw the whole way, filming him as he ran. Also following him were his manager, a sports therapist, and an ice cream van which periodically played the theme song to "Chariots Of Fire."
The double Emmy award-winner's run took him across Britain, from London to Liverpool, Northern Ireland, Scotland and down back to the capital, according to the BBC. The broadcaster said Izzard effectively ran 43 marathons. It added that some of Izzard's runs had taken him as many as 10 hours to complete, although his last one was took just over five.
Izzard said told the broadcaster last month that "you have to be a little bit crazy" to tackle a challenge of this kind.
"But doing standup comedy is a little crazy," he said.